Tuesday, July 1, 2014

Whispers From Mom



There's still so many things I want to say to my children.  Looking back there are things that I would ask for a re-do on, other things that I neglected to tell you at all.  Then there are things that I didn't think were important so we just skipped over and other things that I didn't have the time to tell you at that moment so they just got forgotten.

I'm so humbled that God has allowed me to be the mother of 5 fabulous children who are now pretty much grown and on their way to being adults.  Is it too late to say so many things?  When does a mom have to quit talking (or lecturing as ya'll always called it) to her children and let them make their own way?  I think this is the hardest so far, to keep my lips closed and trust in the Lord with all my heart when it comes to ya'll, my sweetest treasures.  Do I really have it in me?

This world is a frightening place to live and I know it will only get worse, that's what God's word says.  I think soon our vision will be so muddled if we don't keep our eyes on the Lord and exactly what His word says.  We can't pick and choose what we want to live by, pulling a little out here and a little out there, disregarding the rest.  I just think of Satan tricking Eve with his words when he convinced her that God didn't really say not to eat of that tree or maybe he didn't really mean that.  I look at this crazy world that's killing babies and choosing same sex partners and sex before marriage and it's all perfectly ok and normal.  I look at the divorce rate among Christians and they are no different than the world and maybe even higher.  How can that be?  I am so fearful for you, my children, and your children, my grandchildren. Oh and have i said how stupendous  grandchildren are? I want to tuck you under my wing and hide you from the world but I know I can't.  "Be strong and courageous, do not be afraid or tremble at them, for the Lord your God is the one who goes with you.  He will not fail you or forsake you."  Deuteronomy 31:6.

Several months back I heard about a Christian couple that found their marriage to be in serious trouble. They were determined not to walk away from their marriage or the promise they had made to God and the commitment to each other.  They knew they needed some accountability so they went to their parents for help and counsel.  Through much discussion, the father confessed that he had seen this trouble coming but had chosen to remain silent and now how sorry he was.  When I heard this I was determined to never have to confess this to my children, that I had seen huge storms on the horizon but had kept silent.

But here's the pwoblem, as Wyatt would say,  when does a mom say something and when does she not?  Ecclesiastes 3:1 & 7 says,  "There is an appointed time for everything.  And there is a time for every event under heaven......A time to be silent and a time to speak.

Psalm 141:3 also says "Set a guard, Oh Lord, over my mouth;  Keep watch over the door of my lips."

Proverbs 14:1 says "The wise woman builds her house, But the foolish tears it down with her own hands".

Someone said recently that a whisper could be as loud as a scream.  I think the Lord impressed on me that I still have some whispers for my children.  I promise you that I will pray about whether it is time to be silent or whether it is time to speak.  I promise you that I will ask the Lord to put His biggest guard ever , like maybe one dressed in a white robe with one of those huge light up swords to guard over my mouth and to keep watch over the doors of my lips.  I know that's a humongous job but I know God's up for it.  I pray against being the foolish woman who tears down her house with her own hands.  That makes me weep thinking that I, the foolish of all women, could actually tear down my house that God has graced me with.  I pray that our "house" continues to grow as precious daughters and sons are added, that we will stay strong and united in the Lord and you will know my heart, as sinful as it is, and maybe see a smidge of wisdom coming from your mom who loves you with all of my heart.

(I've got some whispers but I'll save them for later, aren't you glad Seth ?)

Wishing you a laughter filled day.
 


1 comment: